Urdu Book Review

 ðŸ“š Book Review 📚 

Title: Bachon ke lie Urdu ki doosri kitab - Kahanian aur Nazmein (pehla hissa)

Genre: Textbooks // Urdu

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

About 7 years ago, when I began searching for Urdu books in the UK, I couldn’t find any. Maybe there was a dearth of Urdu resources back then… or maybe I was new to the country and didn’t know where to look. Perhaps a combination of both.

I came across this book on eBay… but I didn’t buy it immediately. I was sceptical. It wasn’t as colourful as the textbooks I’d studied from in the UAE, the ones I was looking for. 

Eventually, since I couldn’t find anything else, I bought it. 

And as the picture shows.. it has been well-loved since. This book has been torn, scribbled on, chewed on, and everything else that goes with babies getting their hands on books. But its appeal has withstood the test of time.

Even now, when we have a decent collection of colourful storybooks, my children will invariably pick this out if I ask them to choose an Urdu book.

Maybe it’s the variety of poems, stories and riddles. Maybe it’s the nature of the text - some funny, some thrilling, some downright boring for me but my kids seem to love it. Or perhaps, at an unconscious level, it is a reminder of the olden days… perhaps they know instinctively that this set of paper and ink is part of them, that it has grown right along with them. It is as real as the mangy stuffed toys that never quite seem to be clean, even after coming straight out of the wash. 

And it is just as loved.



 

Comments

Popular Posts