On Teaching Responsibility

This pencil is the reason my 6 YO learned one of her hardest lessons yesterday… and cried with such sadness that I thought my heart would break. She also said she hated me.

Let me rewind a little.

My kids lose pencils all the time. They’re 6 and 8 now, so not babies anymore. I figured they could be more responsible. I’m ALWAYS reminding them about keeping their stuff back in its place so we can find it again next time. If I see an open pencil case, I close it. If I find one of their things lying about, I replace it. But no amount of reminding/encouraging/helping was making them RESPONSIBLE.

So I made a rule. 

I gave them each a new pencil, and said that as long as it was used up (and I had a stub to prove it), they could have a new one. BUT, if they lost it, they’d have to pay to get it/a new one. 

This was a couple of weeks ago, and both agreed, yes yes, sure, why not. Bla bla. They’ve also been saving up for swimming accessories - with hard work and discipline.

Yesterday, my 6 YO had to buy back her lost pencil for a whopping 20p. You won’t believe the tears. Anyone would think I seized her entire money box! 🙄 

She told me how mean I am, how unfair, how she can’t wait to be a grown up so SHE can make all the rules… all the while I held her as she cried and raged (and handed over the 20p). It was a tough love situation. 

She let me hug and kiss her while she ranted.

But I don’t think she’ll be losing another pencil any time soon! 

(Ah, the joys of homeschooling…)

What are the ways in which you teach responsibility to your kids? I’d love to know! x




Comments

Popular Posts