Homemade Prayer Book

When my children were babies, I noticed how they loved touchy-feely books. That made me wish for a touchy-feely book with small Surahs from the Quran. I was sure they would enjoy hearing the rhythmic recitations and touching the illustrations. 
I searched on Amazon and Ebay, and googled my heart out, but couldn't find anything that ticked  all the boxes.
Eventually I decided that I'd make such a book myself. I tried to make 'relevant-ish' drawings,
but the only textural element I could employ in my DIY Quran Book was using 3D paints and glitter glue in an attempted galaxy illustration.
The plan was to learn Arabic calligraphy and do the writing myself - but what with my procrastinating ways and life in general, this never came to fruition. Eventually, four years after the start of this project, I commissioned The Rehma to do the writing. She did a lovely job, and matched the borders of the writing pages to the drawings on the opposite pages. 
Even though my children aren't babies anymore, they still love their colourful Quran book - and it gets read from every day.














Comments

Popular Posts